clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Mapping Chicago's Freshly Minted National Historic Places

View as Map

Illinois had over two dozen entries to the National Register of Historic Places last year, with many of the buildings and sites located in Chicago. No doubt, Chicago's architecture is world famous, but the reputation wouldn't exist if many of the city's cultural gems weren't preserved throughout the decades. Although all of the buildings and sites listed on our map are quite old, their inclusion to the list of National Historic Places is very fresh. Entry to the list of historical buildings can range from architectural significance to historical and cultural relevance. So come and take a look at where Chicago's "newest" historical sites are.


· Check out Chicago-area sites named to National Register of Historic Places [Crain's]
· National Register of Historic Places Program [National Park Service]
· Previous coverage of National Register of Historic Places [Curbed Chicago]

Read More

Kosciuszko Park Field House

Copy Link

Located in Logan Square, the tutor revival style "Koz" Park Fieldhouse opened in 1916 and has been largely unchanged ever since.

J.J. Walser House

Copy Link

Located in the Austin neighborhood on the city's far West Side, this two story home built in 1903 and designed by famous Prairie School architect Frank Lloyd Wright.

Vesta Accumulator Company Building

Copy Link

This old manufacturing building in the city's Motor Row neighborhood was once the home to the Vesta Accumulator Company, which manufactured automobile parts and remains one of the last remnants of the original "Motor Row".

320 West Oakdale Avenue

Copy Link

This high rise residential building located between Lincoln Park and Lakeview was designed by Milton M. Schwartz and built in 1954. It made the list for being one of the best preserved examples of the Mid-Century Modern movement that took Chicago by storm in the 50's and 60's.

The Neuville Apartment Building

Copy Link

This early luxury apartment building in Streeterville was erected in 1920 and is representative of the economic boom during the 1920s.

42nd Precinct Chicago Police Department

Copy Link

This old police station is one of the earliest in Chicago. Built in 1907, there are only a couple of other older examples of Chicago Police stations in the city.

Bush Temple of Music

Copy Link

Built in 1901, the Bush Temple of Music was the location of Bush and Gerts Piano Company, one of the largest and most important piano manufacturers in the world at the time.

Curtiss-Wright Aeronautical University Building

Copy Link

This building was once the home to the first accredited flight school in the Midwest that enrolled black students and hired black flight instructors going back as far as the 1920's and 1930's.

Passionist Fathers Monastery

Copy Link

Located in Norwood Park, this building is significant for its classic Baroque and Romanesque style detailing. The monastery was once one of the most prominent religious buildings in the Chicago area when it was completed in 1910.

Polish Roman Catholic Union of America

Copy Link

This building is the home to the oldest Polish American organization in the entire country and the site of the Polish Museum of America.

Stony Island Trust & Savings Bank Building

Copy Link

This old bank building is representative of the rise of community banks in Chicago during the 20's and is a fine example of the popular Classical Revival architectural style from the time.

Storkline Furniture Corporation Factory

Copy Link

The former home of the Storkline Furniture Corporation Factory, the building is significant for its relationship with its former tenant who was one of the earliest and largest manufacturers of furniture for infants and children.

Strand Hotel

Copy Link

This old hotel in Woodlawn was the home to the Strand Show Lounge, a popular jazz venue from the 1950's and 1960's where some of the country's most famous acts played.

West Argyle Street Historic District

Copy Link

This Uptown stretch is the home to Chicago's Vietnamese community which initially started as a second China Town. In the late 70's the community petitioned the CTA to give the Argyle station its Eastern style architectural makeover.

West Loop-LaSalle Street Historic District

Copy Link

This financial district in Chicago is one of the greatest examples of the city's late 19th/early 20th century Art Deco architecture. The stretch is highly representative of the "Broad Shoulders" that Carl Sandburg wrote about during the early decades of the 1900s.

Loading comments...

Kosciuszko Park Field House

Located in Logan Square, the tutor revival style "Koz" Park Fieldhouse opened in 1916 and has been largely unchanged ever since.

J.J. Walser House

Located in the Austin neighborhood on the city's far West Side, this two story home built in 1903 and designed by famous Prairie School architect Frank Lloyd Wright.

Vesta Accumulator Company Building

This old manufacturing building in the city's Motor Row neighborhood was once the home to the Vesta Accumulator Company, which manufactured automobile parts and remains one of the last remnants of the original "Motor Row".

320 West Oakdale Avenue

This high rise residential building located between Lincoln Park and Lakeview was designed by Milton M. Schwartz and built in 1954. It made the list for being one of the best preserved examples of the Mid-Century Modern movement that took Chicago by storm in the 50's and 60's.

The Neuville Apartment Building

This early luxury apartment building in Streeterville was erected in 1920 and is representative of the economic boom during the 1920s.

42nd Precinct Chicago Police Department

This old police station is one of the earliest in Chicago. Built in 1907, there are only a couple of other older examples of Chicago Police stations in the city.

Bush Temple of Music

Built in 1901, the Bush Temple of Music was the location of Bush and Gerts Piano Company, one of the largest and most important piano manufacturers in the world at the time.

Curtiss-Wright Aeronautical University Building

This building was once the home to the first accredited flight school in the Midwest that enrolled black students and hired black flight instructors going back as far as the 1920's and 1930's.

Passionist Fathers Monastery

Located in Norwood Park, this building is significant for its classic Baroque and Romanesque style detailing. The monastery was once one of the most prominent religious buildings in the Chicago area when it was completed in 1910.

Polish Roman Catholic Union of America

This building is the home to the oldest Polish American organization in the entire country and the site of the Polish Museum of America.

Stony Island Trust & Savings Bank Building

This old bank building is representative of the rise of community banks in Chicago during the 20's and is a fine example of the popular Classical Revival architectural style from the time.

Storkline Furniture Corporation Factory

The former home of the Storkline Furniture Corporation Factory, the building is significant for its relationship with its former tenant who was one of the earliest and largest manufacturers of furniture for infants and children.

Strand Hotel

This old hotel in Woodlawn was the home to the Strand Show Lounge, a popular jazz venue from the 1950's and 1960's where some of the country's most famous acts played.

West Argyle Street Historic District

This Uptown stretch is the home to Chicago's Vietnamese community which initially started as a second China Town. In the late 70's the community petitioned the CTA to give the Argyle station its Eastern style architectural makeover.

West Loop-LaSalle Street Historic District

This financial district in Chicago is one of the greatest examples of the city's late 19th/early 20th century Art Deco architecture. The stretch is highly representative of the "Broad Shoulders" that Carl Sandburg wrote about during the early decades of the 1900s.