Built just shy of a century ago, a stately Georgian mansion listed on the National Register of Historic Places is now available in west suburban West Dundee.
The 6,100 square-foot brick structure sits on nearly half an acre of land a few blocks west of the Fox River. It was designed by Childs and Smith in 1921—architects credited for work on Northwestern University’s 1920’s-era buildings in Evanston. The mansion’s original owner was William F. Oatman, the descendant of West Dundee’s first settlers John and Nancy Oatman—who established a tavern and store there in 1835.
The second owner temporarily turned the structure into a nursing home. The current owners, who purchased the property in 1975, have worked on restoring the home.
There’s a classic, formal aesthetic to the five-bedroom, five-bathroom mansion, which features a brown brick and limestone exterior. The front entrance features a vestibule that leads to a columned hallway and grand staircase. There’s also a dark, wood-paneled library with built-in bookshelves and a deep red marble mantle around the fireplace.
Another notable feature of the property the heated sun-room surrounded by paned windows and still retains the original clay tile flooring. The space overlooks the home’s lawn and garden. The stately mansion looks like it should come with horse stables, but alas, there’s a two-car garage.
Located at 219 S. 3rd Street in West Dundee, this home is asking $799,000.