After nine months on the market, Kenwood’s 1896 Richard Nash House has sold. The seven-bedroom and five-bathroom mansion at 4841 S. Greenwood Avenue fetched $1.125 million in a deal that closed earlier this week. The sale price was considerably lower than the property’s initial asking price of $2.2 million last spring.
The historic South Side home was designed by John Edmund Oldaker Pridmore—a British-American architect behind a number of Chicago’s early 20th Century theaters as well as River North’s Bush Temple of Music. It features extensive interior woodwork, inlaid parquet floors, numerous fireplaces, a glassy solarium, and a master bedroom with an attached sauna.
The Nash House wasn’t the only architecturally significant Kenwood property to recently find a buyer. Two blocks to the south, a mansion designed in 1900 by Alfred Alschuler went under contract last month. Last listed at at $1.99M, the 9,000-square-foot home hit the market in April asking $2.395 million.