After breaking ground earlier this year, the new Chicago headquarters for third-party logistics company C.H. Robinson has made considerable progress on the east bank of the Chicago River’s rapidly-evolving North Branch Industrial Corridor. Situated on a four-acre parcel once occupied by the Gutmann Leather Tannery at 1515 N. Webster Avenue, the Skidmore, Owings & Merrill-designed building has reached its full four-story height thanks to a pair of recently-removed terrestrial and barge-based construction cranes.
Daniel Schell of the construction blog Building Up Chicago swung by the project this week to capture the most recent progress.
Progress continues on Sterling Bay's topped-out 4-story C.H. Robinson HQ https://t.co/BiXirs5EWM pic.twitter.com/7vakJIsAlN— buildingupchicago (@BuildUpChicago) September 8, 2017
Expected to open in late 2018, the 200,000-square-foot C.H. Robinson project is essentially the first piece of a greater riverfront office campus in the works by Sterling Bay. The West Loop-based developer has amassed almost 60 acres of land along the North Branch corridor including large parcels such as the City of Chicago’s 18-acre Department of Fleet and Facility Management complex, the 28-acre former site of A. Finkl and Sons Steel Co, and the former Lakin tire recycling plant.
Earlier this summer, a marketing image attributed to Sterling Bay showed C.H. Robinson’s new HQ joined by similarly sized office developments, a new open-air market, “multi-modal hub,” and an overhauled Clybourn Metra station. Plans also call for an extension of the 606 bike and pedestrian trail over the Chicago River to connect with the emerging mixed-use campus.
- Progress continues on Sterling Bay’s topped-out 4-story C.H. Robinson HQ [Building Up Chicago]
- Offices, Metra stop, and 606 extension previewed in Finkl plan [Curbed Chicago]
- Work to start on C.H. Robinson’s new SOM-designed riverfront HQ [Curbed Chicago]
- Lincoln Park archive [Curbed Chicago]