Located in a 1909 neo-Gothic building at 76 E. Monroe Street, the University Club of Chicago is preparing to cut the ribbon next month on a new lounge, restaurant, and terrace on the roof of its neighbor. The project renovated the seventh floor and constructed a new eighth floor at the top of the adjacent Theodore Ascher and Company Building at 30 S. Michigan Avenue. The plan went before the Chicago Commission on Landmarks last spring before landing its first building permit in October.
Designed by architect Antunovich Associates with Looney and Associates handling interiors, the University Club addition includes multiple lounges, bars, private dining spaces, an interior courtyard, and an outdoor terrace with sweeping views of Grant Park and Lake Michigan. The project was designed to compliment the club’s existing gothic style of architecture and—much like Cindy’s bar atop the Chicago Athletic Association—was set back from Michigan Avenue to appear less obtrusive from street level.
The upgrades will be a major shot in the arm for one of the Windy City’s oldest private clubs and will allow the organization to better compete with other Cultural Mile organizations such as the Cliff Dwellers and Chicago Club. While the project initially announced Labor Day for its grand opening, the official date is currently set for September 15th. Head over to Chicago Architecture Blog, to check out more renderings of the soon-to-open renovation.
- Pics and Video of the University’s Club’s Michigan Avenue Expansion [Chicago Architecture Blog]
- University Club of Chicago plans rooftop terrace [Curbed Chicago]
- Previous Loop Coverage [Curbed Chicago]