clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Historic Quincy ‘L’ station one step closer to official landmark status

The 120-year-old Quincy stop is one of the city’s oldest and best preserved ‘L’ stations

Flickr Creative Commons/takomabibelot

Chicago’s old Quincy station—one the city’s oldest and best preserved first generation ‘L’ stations—is one step closer to being an official Chicago Landmark. The city’s Commission on Chicago Landmarks voted this week to move forward with the designation process for the Quincy ‘L’ station. The station is also currently undergoing a $18 million renovation which will see a number of improvements, including full ADA compliance with the installation of two elevators, an accessible covered walkway, new exit stairs, better lighting, and modifications to the existing platforms.

First opened in 1897, the old elevated stop was designed in the Neoclassical style by the architect Alfred M. Hedley. Included in the American Institute of Architects’ list of "150 Great Places in Illinois," the structure has seen few changes during its 120-year history. Serving the Brown, Orange, Pink, and Purple Lines and located not far from Chicago’s Union Station, the revamped Quincy station should help the CTA achieve its goal of being 100% accessible by 2036.