clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Mixed-income mixed-user with Target store proposed near Loyola Campus

New, 8 comments

The plan comes in coordination between a private developer and the Chicago Housing Authority

GREC Architects

A plan to develop a new mixed-income residential and retail development in Rogers Park has gained steam since it was originally discussed last summer, and now Alderman Joe Moore (49th) is inviting residents to attend an upcoming community meeting to get a first look at the proposal. According to an announcement from the 49th Ward alderman, the plan is calling for a seven-story mix-material building which will house 111 apartments, 133 below-grade vehicle parking spaces, and nearly 30,000 square feet of retail space—most of which could be leased to Target.

GREC Architects

As the development is being coordinated with the Chicago Housing Authority, 60% of the available units will be reserved for CHA residents while the remaining 40% will be rented at market rate. The proposal also includes a new 5,000-square-foot community room and rooftop deck space for the residents at the Caroline Hedger Apartments high-rise next door.

GREC Architects

According to Alderman Joe Moore, the project’s developer has come to a tentative agreement with Target to open a new store in the development, which is being called Concord at Sheridan. However, residents won’t see a big box store opening in the development. The plan would be to build a store with a smaller 23,000-square-foot footprint, which Alderman Joe Moore compares to the size of a usual Walgreen’s store.

Google Street View

The next community meeting to discuss the proposed development takes place next Monday, January 30 at Loyola University’s Crown Center for the Humanities (1001 W. Loyola Avenue) starting at 7:00 p.m.