A fixture in Cabrini-Green is going the way of much of the neighborhood, with new plans in motion to turn the Romanesque St. Dominic's Church on North Sedgewick into a six-story residential building. As reported by Chicago Architecture Blog, the updated plans call for the double-towered brick church, built in 1905 and closed since 1990, to be replaced with a 6-story, 45-unit building designed by Sullivan Goulette & Wilson Architects featuring a south-facing, second-floor terrace and enclosed parking for bikes and cars.
The new proposal, which replaces a condo plan from last year that had Axios Architects & Consultants Ltd. attached, is the latest play on a long-vacant lot. Fueled by a real estate upswing and new tech jobs in the area, River North has been booming. If completed, the new building would have plenty of competition nearby, including the forthcoming $140 million, 310-unit Fifield-backed tower at Chestnut and Orleans. Be sure to head over to the Chicago Architecture Blog, which has more info and renderings for this project.
·Plan to Replace Saint Dominic's Church with Condominiums Revised [Chi Arch Blog]
·New Condos Coming To Former Cabrini-Green Neighborhood [Curbed Chicago]