clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

St. Laurence Parish Demolition Nearly Complete

New, 1 comment

After an unsuccessful preservation battle, there is now only a shell left of the old St. Laurence Parish. Located in the South Shore neighborhood, the church was designed by architect Joseph Molitor and opened its doors in 1911. In 2004, the Archdiocese of Chicago closed the old church, due to the lack of patrons attending it combined with a steep price tag for repairs. The next year, Eden Independent Living purchased the property and proposed a supportive living facility for the site. In April, crews finished demo'ing the church's rectory and shortly after began the demolition of the parish hall. It now faces the same fate that many other historic churches in the city have, but will live on in photos.
·St. Laurence Under Demolition [Chicago Patterns]
·St. Laurence Church [Preservation Chicago]