Congrats to those who ID'd the old Tribune Building at the corner of Madison & Dearborn. The ornate 4-story building was where the Tribune took its first steps after launching in 1847. The structure was indeed rebuilt following the Fire, as a reader pointed out, and stood at the present site of the One South Dearborn office tower until the 1990s. The famous McVickers Theater first inhabited this block, too, whose signage peeks into the frame of the late 1850s photo. Mulitple incarnations of McVickers stretched the theater's longevity into the 1980s. Thanks for playing!
·First Home of a Fledgling & Soon-To-Be Influential Enterprise [Curbed Chicago]
·Historic Photographs from Chicago: A Biography [U of C Press]