clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Preservation Watch

New, 2 comments

The Second Presbyterian Church at 1936 S Michigan already enjoys a heap of landmark protections and related tax benefits. So it's mainly a boastful thing that the turn-of-the-century Shaw-designed Gothic masterpiece—riddled with Arts & Crafts murals, sculptures, and stained glass—has been endowed with National Historic Landmark status. A National Registry member since 1974 and a Chicago Landmark since 1977, this latest recognition puts it in the company of 50 select Chicago-area buildings and districts. They include places like Pullman and sites like Adler Planetarium, Hull House, Auditorium Building, and a number of Wright homes. [Sun-Times, photo: Wikipedia/creative commons]