We knew this was an easy one going in, and Curbed readers proved it once again! Some archival stuff just demands airtime. The old photo shows Cap Anson throwing out the first pitch of the 1908 Cubs season— the Cubbies' last winning one. Eight years later it was on to Wrigley (then Weeghman Park), and a land of never-ending woes. Known as West Side Park and bracketed by Taylor, Wood, Polk, and Wolcott Streets, the old Cubs haunt was actually their third home. The first West Side Park (1885-1891) was on a block bounded by Congress, Loomis, Harrison and Throop Streets, and Lakefront Park (1871, 1878-1884) was where Grant Park is now. The name "Cubs" wouldn't have resonated back then, though, as they answered only to "Chicago White Stockings".
·Hint: A Winning Field That Preceded Baseball's Golden Age [Curbed Chicago]
·West Side Park [Wikipedia]