Sorry folks, she's spoken for. After sitting on the market for about a year, a buyer closed on the Landmark Wood-Maxey-Boyd House in Douglas on Friday. Agent Fred Scovell tells Curbed that a doctor from New York named George Kol paid $450,000 cash for the 125-year-old mansion — $400,000 less than it was originally listed for. Scovell says that potential buyers had previously made offers of $575,000 and $535,000, but both ultimately backed off for different reasons. The new owner plans to spend two to three years rehabbing the home, "bringing it back to its original splendor," as Scovell puts it. And it'll take a lot of work to bring that splendor back. The home still has several oil storage tanks from the original heating system, asbestos in the basement, and plenty of lead paint and lead piping, according to Scovell. The new owner will also try to restore the roughly 3,000-square-foot carriage house, which has a badly damaged roof. "I get more calls on this property than any property I've ever had in my eight years working as an active Realtor," Scovell told us in April. Maybe now his phone will stop ringing.
· Landmark Prairie Ave. Manse Under Contract Again—Will it Sell? [Curbed Chicago]
· The Price is Right, But Is this Douglas Mansion Chicago's Nicest? [Curbed Chicago]