We haven't heard much from Webster Square since the development was approved by the Chicago Plan Commission in December. Today, we received a press release announcing that the City Council Zoning Committee referred the development back to the Plan Commission to consider the following changes (pulled straight from the press release):
· Lowering of the height of the Grant Street buildings to 47 feet to match the restrictions on neighboring properties;
· Removing two planned single family homes on the north side of Webster to provide a buffer and transition to existing homes to the east;
· Providing additional internal loading area to ensure that trucks will not have to back in or out of the loading docks;
· Providing a recessed curb on the north side of Webster to facilitate traffic movement; and setting back the upper two floors of the 12-story residential building on Webster.None of this comes as much of a surprise, considering that Ald. Vi Daley told the Sun-Times that she would request the changes after the December Plan Commission vote. Next, the City Council will vote on the project.
· Complete Curbed Coverage of Webster Square [Curbed Chicago]
· Official Webster Square website [Sandz Development]